Wednesday, August 10, 2011

Mystery Artifact from Tiger Mountain

A hiker sent us the images below, along with the following note:


My girlfriend and I were hiking along 15 Mile Creek on Tiger Mountain near Issaquah on Tuesday afternoon, when I stumbled upon what looked like a large metal coil of some type. It looked like it was pretty old, especially since one end of it was buried in the hillside. It is extremely close to the old railroad grade which used to go up Tiger Mountain, and maybe a couple hundred feet away from the sealed entrance to an old coal mine. There is also the concrete foundation of a historic coal crushery, and also a coal washery (which have been recorded by the Washington State Department of Natural Resources) about a half mile from where I saw the coil. This makes me think it was part of a piece of mining or railroad equipment.

I've been researching and trying to figure out what it was used for, and just wondered if you guys might have any insight? Each loop was roughly 20 cm in diameter. I took some pics and used my camera bag for scale so you can take a look if you want.

I contacted a couple of my coworkers to see if they had any ideas, and they think it could be remnants of a trolley car wire or blasting line.


If you have any ideas about what this cable might have been used for, let us know!



1 comment:

  1. This item has been identified as the remnants of an old, wooden water pipe. Wooden water pipes were daubed with tar on the outside, and then wrapped tightly with wire. In this case, it looks like the wood has deteriorated or been removed, leaving us with only the wrapped wire. Mystery solved!

    ReplyDelete