Wednesday, April 17, 2013

From the Digital Collections: Poem by William Udd


In celebration of National Poetry Month, we've been posting some of our favorite poems from our collections here at the Issaquah History Museums. This untitled poem by William Udd is about growing old. William Udd was born in Sweden in 1882. He came to the United States at the age of 9. He arrived in the Issaquah Valley sometime around 1919 and lived here until his death in 1961. He married Clara Madsen in 1958 at the age of 76!


Untitled
by William Udd
William Udd's handwritten poem
Full Record
 
Don't treat me rough because I'm old.
I worked my way through rain and cold.
My strength is ebbing fast away.
Don't treat me rough you'll be old someday
 
And when the evening shadows fall
Don't treat me rough, I gave you all,
And when you lay me down to rest
Don't treat me rough, I tried my best
 
And as the years go passing by
Don't treat me rough your heart will sigh
You'll find you are in someone's way. You'll pray
O Lord take me away!

No comments:

Post a Comment