Wednesday, October 9, 2013

Hearing History: Camilla Berg Erickson


Camilla Berg Erickson
Yearbook Photo
ca 1936
 
 
Camilla Erickson: I don't recall that there was anything specific about being Norwegian in with Swedes. My Uncle Andrew, he was married to a Swedish lady. And she had a brother that lived here, and he had a fairly large family.
 
And my folks had Norwegian friends up in Snoqualmie and Puyallup and Seattle. So, I mean, we did have friends from Norway.
 
And, oh, I was grown at the time, I was probably eighteen, nineteen, something like that, and my parents had [friends], three other couples that use to come [over]. They would go back and forth for dinner.
 
And one of the men - they talked Norwegian when they got together - and one of the men sort of apologized to me and said, you know, about them talking Norwegian.
 
And I says, "Oh, that's all right."
 
He says, "Yeah, but we're talking about old times back in Norway, and it just doesn't seem right to talk about Norway in English." That they had to talk in Norwegian to talk about Norway. That was his feeling.
 
 
 
 
Camilla Berg was born in 1918 to Charles Berg and Gesine Eliasen Berg. Camilla was interview in 2006 as part of IHM’s oral history project. Camilla talks about raising chickens (her family had 800), the Norwegian community and food (blood dumplings), and Issaquah during the depression. She also discusses changes in Issaquah over the years.
 
 
 


No comments:

Post a Comment