Saturday, October 26, 2013

Hearing History: Dorothy Hailstone Beale



Hazel Hircko (left) and Dorothy Hailstone Beale (right)
ca 1936

Dorothy Beale (right)
ca 1993



Dorothy H. Beale: But I knew Dorothy.  And Dorothy Miles.  And Dorothy Castagno.  When I went to school, I went by “Margaret.”  
 
I said, “No, I’m not [going to be called Dorothy].  They’re going to get all mixed up!”
 
And so my first grade teacher, Mrs. McMaster she called my mother – or talked to my mother, we didn’t have phones – and she said, “Is it all right if she goes by Margaret?”  And my mother said, “If she wants to.”
 
So I went eleven years to school as Margaret.  And then when I was a senior, I wanted my first name on my graduation.  So the teachers sure raised Cain with me.  [chuckles]  Made me write my full name.
 
And you can imagine, on a sheet of paper like this, and you write Dorothy Margaret Hailstone, you’ve got half a page done!  [laughter]
 
MM:  That’s a long name.  So Margaret was your middle name that you decided to go by?
 
DHB:  Uh-huh.
 
MM:  That’s probably smart of you.  Because otherwise, they would have gotten mixed up.  That’s a lot of Dorothys.
 
DHB:  Oh, it was a funny situation.  I went all that time as Margaret.  And never thought anything about it until my senior year, and I thought, Oh, I want my first name on my diploma.  
 
I went twelve years to school and never missed a day.
 
MM:  Really?  You had perfect attendance?  Were you ever sick?
 
DHB:  No.
 
MM:  You were never sick?
 
DHB:  Not when I was young.
 
 
 
Dorothy Hailstone Beale was born in 1919 to James H Hailstone and Emma Greenier Hailstone. Dorothy was interviewed in 2006 by Maria McLeod as part of IHM’s oral history project. Dorothy talks about growing up in Issaquah, logging, and the Hailstone family. Her extensive interview covers many families in Issaquah as well as some fascinating discussion about the KKK and cultural and race relations in Issaquah.

 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment